Iowa City Personal Injury Attorneys
Here to Help You Demand Compensation
Serious and life-changing accidents happen every day, and most of them could have been avoided had people been more careful. If you have been injured due to someone else’s mistakes, then Iowa civil law allows you to seek compensation from that party. Ball, Kirk & Holm in Iowa City is here to help you do just that.
Our team of Iowa City personal injury lawyers is backed by decades of collective legal experience and a long history of incredible case results. Insurance companies big and small know our name, as do local law firms, courtrooms, and other professionals in legal circles. Let our reputation for greatness lead the way on your personal injury claim today.
Excellent Casework, Each & Every Time
How and why were you hurt? Let us know what happened and we can let you know what should be done next in pursuit of maximum compensation. Thanks to our extensive legal experience, we are able to handle all the most common and complex forms of personal injury claims filed in Iowa City.
Give us a call at (319) 220-0416 if you need assistance with a claim involving a:
- Car accident
- Motorcycle accident
- Truck accident
- Product defect
- Catastrophic injury
- Wrongful death
Four Elements of Personal Injury Claims
Although most accidents can call for a personal injury claim, not all do. There must be four examinable elements to the situation that justify it as a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
The four elements of all valid personal injury claims are:
- Duty of care: The defendant must have owed a duty of care to the claimant or plaintiff. As a member of society, you owe a general duty of care to everyone around you, and they owe it back to you. Essentially, you must not act negligently or maliciously if it would mean putting someone in danger.
- Breach of duty: The defendant must have done something to breach the duty of care that you were owed. A breach of duty is usually exemplified as something that the average reasonable person would not do, such as driving drunk.
- Injury: The breach of duty carried out by the defendant must have been the direct cause of the claimant’s injury. If the cause is not clear or established through evidence, then the claim will falter.
- Damage: Lastly, and perhaps the easiest element to prove, the injury suffered by the claimant must have resulted in damage, like medical bills and lost wages. In rare cases, a claim can be brought if the injury only results in abstract damages, like emotional trauma, pain, and suffering.
Damages You Might be Able to Pursue
The financial damage owed to you from the defendant is the foundation of your personal injury claim. While getting a sense of justice from winning a claim is great, knowing that you will be financially stable after a serious accident is arguably much better for most clients. We want to secure every single penny owed to you by examining as many insurance policies as possible that apply to your case.
Your injury claim could end with you being provided money to help pay for:
- Medical bills
- Missing wages
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disfigurement
- And more
When Should You Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Not every accident requires a lawyer. If you were involved in a minor fender bender with no injuries and your insurance has agreed to cover the damages, there's no reason to hire a lawyer. However, not every case is as straightforward. You may want to consider hiring an injury attorney if:
- You are being blamed for the accident even if you were not at fault
- Your insurance is refusing to offer a fair settlement
- You are unfamiliar with the legal process and how to pursue a personal injury claim
- You have suffered significant damages and are facing large expenses as a result
- Your injuries prevent you from giving your case the attention it requires
Ultimately, hiring an injury lawyer should be something that suits your best interests. If you are unsure about whether or not you should hire a lawyer, contact Ball, Kirk & Holm to discuss your situation in a free consultation. We can help you decide!
Start Your Case without Risking Your Wallet
To make pursuing compensation simple and stress-free, our personal injury attorneys in Iowa City offer free initial case consultations that don’t require you to sign anything. If you want to keep looking for a law firm to represent you after meeting with us, or if we both decide that your case is not a right fit for our firm, then you won’t have to pay a dime and you won’t break any sort of legal contract.
Also, we are proud to offer contingency fee agreements to our personal injury clients. With a contingency fee, you only pay our attorney fees if we win your case by ending it with an award or settlement in your favor. There is virtually no risk in pursuing compensation when you allow us to assist or represent you.