Skip to Main Content



Motorcycle Accident Liability Claims

Motorcycling is a great form of recreation and transport in the summer months. However, the risks associated with motorcycling should never be underestimated. Motorcycle riders get into accidents every year, sustaining damages to their motorcycles and suffering injuries that require medical treatment.

Many victims of motorcycle accidents don’t realize that they may be entitled to pursue financial compensation for their injuries and other damages. Consequently, they may never get justice. If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, it is very important that you learn how liability is assigned and what damages you may claim as a result of the collision.

What happens if both parties are partially at fault for an accident?

It’s easy to imagine that in a motorcycle accident, the fault would be placed with one party and not with the other. However, in reality, it is very common that two or more parties share the liability of an accident.

In these complex situations, many different factors are assessed to determine to what extent each party was to blame for the accident taking place. This way of placing blame is known as comparative negligence, which assigns a percentage of fault to each party involved. For example, if one party was ruled to be 30 percent to blame and the other party 70 percent to blame, each party would need to pay the respective percentages in damages.

What damages could I be entitled to as a motorcycle rider?

It is possible that you have suffered in many ways after your serious motorcycle accident. It is possible that you will have to take time off work in order to recover from your injuries, which will likely result in lost wages. This is but one example of compensable damages that you can include in a claim for damages and/or personal injury

If you can prove that there was a majority of fault coming from another party that led to the accident, it is likely that you will be able to recoup damages. It is important to take the time to research how the law works in the state of Iowa.