The more time you spend on the road the more comfortable you'll become with your driving ability and vehicle. Of course, this doesn't mean you can get lazy in regard to your safety.
As a driver, it's important that you never do anything that will increase the likelihood of an accident. Here are six of the top ways to prevent a crash:
- Stay out of the fast lane. Unless you absolutely need to pass another vehicle, it's best to drive in the right lane.
- Keep your eyes on the road at all times. There are many distractions in your vehicle, from your cellphone to passengers, but you can't let these get in your way. You need to focus on the task at hand and nothing else.
- Watch for vehicles in your blind spot. You need to be aware of what's going on around you at all times, which includes any vehicles that may be in your blind spot. Also, do your best to avoid driving in another person's blind spot.
- Take the weather into consideration. When conditions are less than ideal, such as rain or strong winds, you need to alter your approach. This means slowing down, leaving more space between your vehicle and others, and being patient.
- Keep both hands on the wheel. It's easy to take a hand off the wheel and relax, but you never know what could happen as you make your way down the road. With both hands on the wheel, you'll always feel like you're in control.
- Don't drive at night. There are times when this isn't possible, but you should do your best to stay off the road after the sun goes down.
These aren't the only things you can do to prevent a motor vehicle accident, but each of these tips is important to follow.
If you're ever part of a crash in the future, call 911 and wait for a police officer and ambulance to arrive. Once you receive treatment, turn your attention back to the accident. This will help you better understand the cause and your legal rights. Contact our attorneys at Ball, Kirk & Holm today to discuss your accident.