If you spend time on the roadways throughout the state of Iowa and everywhere else in the world, you obviously know that there are always trucks in close proximity to your vehicle.
While proximity to giant trucks is unavoidable, you need to keep something in mind: Truckers don't always take the safest approach as they make their way down the highway.
Due to the size difference, any crash involving a passenger vehicle and a commercial truck can lead to serious injury or even death. This is why you want to avoid trouble at all costs.
Here are some of the most common reasons for truck accidents:
- Lack of training. Driving a truck is not easy, so all drivers should receive the proper training before taking to the road.
- Drowsy driving. When people are too tired to drive, they need to pull off the road. Unfortunately, some truckers don't take this approach.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This is every bit as dangerous as it sounds. A drunk truck driver, for instance, can cause a lot of damage.
- Reckless driving. This means many things, such as speeding and weaving from one lane to the next.
- Unrealistic schedules. This has nothing to do with the driver and everything to do with the trucking company. When a company sets an unrealistic schedule, it's a challenge for the trucker to keep up. In an attempt to do so, they may begin to speed and cut corners with respect to safety.
The only thing you can do is keep a close eye on the many trucks around you. This will improve the likelihood of avoiding trouble on the road.
If you are part of a truck accident in the future, move your car to safety and call 911. You need to receive immediate medical attention. Once you do these things, you can learn more about your legal rights, such as how to file an insurance claim to receive compensation for your injuries and other damages.
Contact Ball, Kirk & Holm today for legal representation following your accident.